The Directorate for Learning and Assessment Programmes would like to invite students from Year 3 – Year 11 to participate in the competition ARTista, an art competition launched on World Art Day (15th April 2021), an initiative by the Mikiel Anton Vassalli College (MAVC), Malta School of Art.
The winner of each section will be selected through a fair and impartial process by a panel of judges appointed by the organisers. All decisions by the judging panel are final.
Winners will be announced through a circular mentioning names of winners, class and
respective schools/colleges, as well as by email. The winning works, as well as a selection of other entries, will be exhibited at the Mikiel Anton Vassalli – Malta School of Art, Valletta, later this year. Thus, the art works submitted might need to be delivered at the Malta School of Art at a later date for this exhibition.
Read on to learn more about the competition rules and regulations:
- Only individual submissions are allowed, and each student may only submit one entry.
- The power of art is the power of imagination – our ability to imagine and create new worlds that are magical, colourful and dynamic. Students are invited to create original artwork that represents their imaginary world. What would the world look like? Who lives there? How is it different from everyday reality? Be as creative as you can!
- Art work can be 2D, 3D, or new media art (photography, computer generated image, video art etc.)
- The choice of art materials is open: dry-materials, wet-materials, digital, clay, plaster, found and recycled material, or any other compound/material of the participant’s choice.
- Entries that have already been shown elsewhere or accepted for another contest will not qualify for this competition.
- Artworks featuring particular persons, organisations or brand names will not be accepted.
- A good and clear photo of the art work created shall be submitted to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by not later than noon of the 13th May 2021. The email must include the name, age and year group of the student, as well as the name and address of School/College.
Participating works will be divided into three groups according to the age of the contestants:
Group A: Years 3 to Year 5
Group B: Year 6 to Year 8
Group C: Year 9 to Year 11
1st prize winners from each category will be awarded with the following prizes:
- A Eur30 Voucher on art supplies and materials from M.T.S Arts & Crafts – Zabbar.
- A Summer Course (6 sessions of 2 hrs duration each session) at the MAVC – Malta School
of Art equivalent to Eur100. This can be delivered online, depending on circumstances
and health directives.
The applicant is giving permission that his/her name and photos of him/her and of the entry design may be published on the MAVC and MFED website and social media and other media.